rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Semenya announces return to competition

Semenya announces return to competition

March 31, 2010 14:17 IST

World 800 metres champion Caster Semenya plans to compete this season even though the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has yet to resolve her gender verification case.

caster semenyaSouth African Semenya underwent gender verification tests after winning gold at last August's world championships and has not competed since.

"I hereby publicly announce my return to athletics competitions," the 19-year-old said in a statement on Tuesday, although no specific date was given.

"My coach, agent and I will work closely together to identify and prepare for a limited number of athletics meetings over the course of the coming athletics season."

"Given that I have not been disqualified nor suspended from athletics competitions and that I expected these processes to be expedited I, on my own volition, resolved not to compete in athletics competitions until these processes had been completed.

"Unfortunately, these processes have dragged on for far too long with no reasonable certainty as to their end.

"The result is that my athletic capabilities and earning potential are being severely compromised," added Semenya whose winning time in Berlin of one minute 55.45 seconds was the fastest of 2009.

LEAGUE MEETING

However, officials declined to let Semenya run at a local league meeting in Stellenbosch on Tuesday after the world champion, who was not entered for the event, turned up and asked for a place.

"Caster asked if she could compete, which is her right," organiser of the local meeting in Stellenbosch, Richard Stander, told Reuters.

"Unfortunately, there are IAAF rules regarding eligibility of events and athletes that we have to abide by and that was explained to Caster.

"Naturally she was upset but she accepted the decision," said Stander, who is also an administrator for Athletics South Africa. He added that Semenya stayed on to watch the meet.

Semenya's statement came after Athletics South Africa (ASA) announced they would abide by the IAAF's request not to allow the athlete to compete until the world body had concluded its investigation.

Australia's Daily Telegraph, citing an unnamed source, reported last September that Semenya was a hermaphrodite with both male and female sexual organs.

The IAAF has not confirmed the report. Semenya and family members say she is female.

Semenya went on to say in the statement she would continue to work with the IAAF in order to resolve her situation.

"I will continue to assist the IAAF with whatsoever they may require for their own processes and in this regard I have instructed my legal and medical team to work closely with, and continue negotiation with them for these purposes."

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.