rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Gonzalez, Hewitt knocked out in Barcelona

Gonzalez, Hewitt knocked out in Barcelona

April 22, 2010 11:37 IST

Fernando Gonzalez's hopes for a successful claycourt season were dented when he suffered a shock 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 second round loss to Spanish qualifier Albert Ramos-Vinolas at the Barcelona Open on Wednesday.

After falling a set behind, fourth seed Gonzalez, ranked almost 150 places higher than the 22-year-old left-hander, looked to have clawed his way back into the match by winning the second-set tiebreak 10-8.

But Ramos-Vinolas responded to the roars of support from the local fans to grab one crucial break of serve in the decider and set up a last-16 clash with Lativa's Ernests Gulbis.

A minute's silence was observed before David Ferrer's match against Spanish compatriot Marcel Granollers following the death of former International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Juan Antonio Samaranch.

A Barcelona native, the 89-year-old was a member of the club where the tournament is being held.

Eighth seed Ferrer beat Granollers 7-5, 6-4 and Juan Carlos Ferrero also went through when his Ukrainian opponent Sergiy Stakhovsky retired. The Spaniard was leading 6-3, 4-2.

"I have a good feeling and the truth is I am playing some solid tennis," said the in-form Ferrero. "With (Rafael) Nadal out it means things are a bit more open."

Nadal, who has triumphed in Barcelona for the past five years, opted to skip the event to give his body a rest.

HEWITT OUT

Lleyton Hewitt, however, will not be around to take advantage of Nadal's absence as his comeback from hip surgery stalled when he lost 7-6, 6-4 to Eduardo Schwank.

The 29-year-old Australian, who has played only one tournament since the operation at the end of January, was twice broken by the 59th-ranked Argentine and misses out on a possible last-eight clash with French Open runner-up Robin Soderling.

French third seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga bounced Czech Jan Hajek 6-3, 6-2 and will next play Spanish 15th seed Nicolas Almagro, whom he defeated last week in Monte Carlo.

"I beat him last week, but I was playing at home," Tsonga said at a news conference. "This time it is him who is at home, and he's going to get a lot of support, so I'm going to have to play a very solid match."

World No 9 Fernando Verdasco, whom Nadal thrashed in Sunday's Monte Carlo final, knocked out Tsonga's compatriot Richard Gasquet 7-5, 6-3.

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.