Rediff.com  » Sports » Australia pull out of 2018 World Cup bid

Australia pull out of 2018 World Cup bid

June 11, 2010 09:58 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Australia has pulled out of bidding to host the 2018 World Cup finals and will instead focus on hosting the 2022 tournament, the country's football federation (FFA) said on Thursday.

FFA chairman Frank Lowy said in a statement that following months of discussions with FIFA it had decided to "leave the field for 2018 to European contenders."

Earlier this week the Asian Football Confederation failed to back Australia's bid.

"I want to assure Europe on behalf of AFC that we recognise and support their desire to host the 2018 edition," AFC president Mohamed Bin Hammam told delegates at an AFC extraordinary meeting on Tuesday.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2023 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

AUSTRALIA TOUR INDIA 2023

AUSTRALIA'S TOUR OF INDIA