rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sports Ministry will back Baljit despite allegations

Sports Ministry will back Baljit despite allegations

January 15, 2010 13:47 IST

Although stunned by Baljit Singh's allegation that his treatment has been dropped midway like a hot potato, the Sports Ministry on Friday assured that it would continue supporting the hockey player in regaining complete vision.

Shocked by Baljit's outburst in which the player, whose right eye was badly damaged during a practice camp in Pune last year, alleged that the Ministry brought him back from the US midway through his treatment, Sports Authority of India joint secretary Pravir Krishn said, "This is surprising since the Ministry spent Rs 35 lakh for his treatment in the US where he underwent three surgeries.

"We treated him like family and here he is spreading misinformation. We have taken care of him and would continue to do so, till he regains full vision," Krishn said.

"All he needs now is cosmetic surgery, for which, the doctors tell us, he has to wait. The Ministry would go by the opinion of the panel of medical experts at AIIMS, who are looking after him and not anybody else," he added.

Asked if Baljit's outburst would prompt the Ministry to reconsider its support for the player, Krishn assured that that would not be the case.

"The Ministry cannot be guided by things like that. We don't hold grudges and he would have our full backing," he assured.

"He has to wait before he can play. He lacks the depth vision and if he still insists on playing, he's bound to hurt himself again," Krishn said.

© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.