rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Sports » Sauber secure entry for 2010 F1 season

Sauber secure entry for 2010 F1 season

December 04, 2009 11:02 IST

Swiss-based Sauber will take departed Toyota's place as Formula One's 13th team next season, the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement on Thursday.

"The FIA has written to inform BMW Sauber AG that their application for an entry in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship has been successful," the FIA said, referring to the team by its former name.

"Subject to their signing the Concorde Agreement (the commercial agreement that binds teams to the series until 2012), BMW Sauber will be awarded the 13th entry in the Championship, taking the place of the departing Toyota team."

Munich-based carmaker BMW, who bought an 80 percent stake in the team in 2005, announced in July that they were pulling out of the sport at the end of the season just finished.

A deal to sell the team to mysterious Swiss-based investment fund Qadbak fell through and BMW said last week that they had handed back control to founder Peter Sauber.

The team had by then already lost their place on the grid to Malaysian-backed newcomers Lotus F1, with the FIA saying Sauber were the official reserve should any other team decide to withdraw.

That vacancy was provided by the Toyota team, who declared after the final race of the year in Abu Dhabi that they were pulling out.

However the FIA held back from confirming Sauber's place pending clarification from Toyota about what, if anything, they intended to do with their team and concerns about Qadbak's funding.

SauberSauber have already reached an agreement with Ferrari to use the Italian company's engines next year, as they did in their previous existence before the BMW takeover.

Former BMW-Sauber team principal Mario Theissen welcomed the FIA's confirmation.

"We are delighted that the FIA has granted our team the 13th place on the grid. It brings to a close a difficult period of uncertainty for us," he said.

"The team can now turn its full attention to preparing for the forthcoming season. We have no doubt that Peter Sauber and his team will justify their nomination through good performance, and we wish them all every success in the future."

Red Bull's Ricciardo fastest in F1 testing

Meanwhile, Australian Daniel Ricciardo lapped fastest for Red Bull on the final day of Formula One's young driver tests at the Jerez circuit in southern Spain on Thursday.

The 20-year-old from Perth did his chances of landing the Red Bull reserve driver role no harm with a best time of 1:17.418.

"The last three days have been an incredible experience for me," said the British Formula Three champion after completing 77 laps.

"I would like to thank Red Bull for giving me this great opportunity which has made me even more determined to make it into Formula One one day.

"I know it was just a test but seeing my name on the top of today's timesheet was really something special."

Britain's Paul di Resta, cousin of IndyCar champion Dario Franchitti, was second fastest for the Force India team and is also in the frame for a reserve driver seat.

The tests were restricted to younger drivers with limited experience of Formula One. The teams will start regular testing in January.

Source:
© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.